- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Current TV has managed to produce years of short-form video content for its cable TV channel at a time when online videos are exploding in popularity. Yet how often does a clip from Current actually go viral? When was the last time anybody emailed you with, “you have to watch this Current TV clip, it’s great”?
It’s Current, not just “SNL,” Funny Or Die and the other usual suspects that should have been riding this media wave. But Current, which was co-founded by former vp Al Gore and recently laid off 80 employees, for too long took its change-the-world mission so damn seriously it rarely produced anything that broke through the chatter.
The network has become more entertainment focused lately, however, and longtime series “Supernews!” has helped lead the way. Here’s a “Supernews!” cartoon calling Sarah Palin a “TWILF” (definitions vary) and “Gun Ho” that’s making headlines (during the summer, its “Glenn Beck Apocalypse” clip also did well). The new clip is less about Palin and really a more general broadside against conservative echo-chamber chatter. Whether you agree with Current’s politics or not, this is the sort of grow-a-pair content the struggling network should have been producing all along.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day