- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
This story first appeared in the Feb. 17 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
Tom Cruise has won most of the early buzz for his performance as rock star Stacee Jaxx in Rock of Ages, New Line’s June 15 musical release based on the hit Broadway show. But don’t be surprised if Alec Baldwin, 53, ends up stealing the show.
The 30 Rock star plays Dennis Dupree, owner of The Bourbon, a Sunset Strip club facing closure in the 1980s. In the scene above, co-star Julianne Hough tries to convince Baldwin’s character to give struggling musician Drew Boley (Diego Boneta, background) a shot while Russell Brand’s rocker character (left) looks on.
Baldwin dons several outrageous period outfits in the film, requiring just the right wig to pull them off.
“If that wig didn’t work, then the whole thing was going to be a disaster,” says director Adam Shankman. “The world is so used to seeing him as Jack Donaghy, and I needed to get him as far away from Jack Donaghy as I could.” Shankman says Baldwin took a special on-set liking to Brand.
“He and Russell ended up being like Tracy and Hepburn,” he recalls. “They were so giddy, and they did everything together.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day