- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Marvel’s Netflix drama Luke Cage has enlisted Alfre Woodard.
The State of Affairs alum is near a deal to board the drama starring Mike Colter as the hero in the title, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
Cage will be introduced in Jessica Jones, the second of four Marvel series for Netflix, before being spun off into his own show. During the course of an investigation in New York, private investigator Jessica Jones (Krysten Ritter) encounters the enigmatic Luke Cage — a man whose past has secrets that will dramatically alter Jessica herself in ways she could never have imagined.
In Luke Cage, Woodard will play a lead character known as Minetta, a powerful woman in local politics who impacts his life. She may be a version of villain Black Mariah, a nemesis to Cage and Iron Fist.
Cheo Hodari Coker serves as showrunner on Luke Cage, which hails from Marvel Television and ABC Studios.
Woodard, repped by ICM and Circle of Confusion, most recently recurred on TNT’s The Last Ship. She also has feature Mississippi Grind in theaters.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day