- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
“We have had a positive working relationship with Chris Hardwick for many years,” the network said Saturday in a statement. “We take the troubling allegations that surfaced yesterday very seriously. While we assess the situation, Talking With Chris Hardwick will not air on AMC, and Chris has decided to step aside from moderating planned AMC and BBC America panels at Comic-Con International in San Diego next month.”
The network’s decision comes as Talking With Chris Hardwick was set to return on Sunday with guest Donald Glover.
NBC, which is home to the game show The Wall, which Hardwick hosts, said Saturday in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter that it is still assessing the situation. “These allegations about Chris Hardwick took us by surprise as we have had a positive working relationship with him. However, we take allegations of misconduct very seriously. Production on The Wall does not begin until September, and in the meantime we are continuing to assess the situation and will take appropriate action based on the outcome.”
AMC has been under pressure to pull Hardwick, a longtime host for the network, since Dykstra’s accusations first came to light. In a lengthy essay posted late Thursday to Medium, Dykstra shared disturbing allegations from a relationship with a man who was believed to be Hardwick, accusing the individual of abuse and sexual assault. She did not name Hardwick in her post.
Still, Hardwick was swiftly scrubbed of all references from the website he co-founded, Nerdist, on Friday. Hardwick is CEO of Nerdist Industries, though the company said he had no operational involvement in recent years. Legendary Entertainment acquired Nerdist in July 2012 and said it was investigating the claims.
Hardwick addressed the allegations directly later on Friday, saying he took the day to consider how to respond. Denying the claim of sexual assault, he said, in part, “I’m devastated to read that she is now accusing me of conduct that did not occur. I was blindsided by her post and always wanted the best for her. As a husband, a son, and future father, I do not condone any kind of mistreatment of women.”
Hardwick had already been announced to moderate a Doctor Who panel for BBC America at the upcoming San Diego Comic-Con and continues to have an overall deal at AMC, where he hosts the Walking Dead post-show, Talking Dead, among other aftershows. Fear the Walking Dead just wrapped its midseason run, and won’t return until October.
June 16, 3:57 p.m. Updated to include NBC’s statement.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day