- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
NEW YORK — America Ferrera, the Emmy and Golden Globe-winning star of ABC’s Ugly Betty, will return to Off Broadway this season to play the lead in Laura Marks‘ dark comedy, Bethany.
Set in an American exurb hit hard by foreclosures and economic woes, the play revolves around a woman who tests the limits of her own morality as she scrambles to regain her financial footing.
Produced by Women’s Project Theater, the world premiere will be directed by Gaye Taylor Upchurch. It runs Jan. 11-Feb. 17 at New York City Center Stage II.
Ferrera’s last Off Broadway role was in 2005 in the satirical Peanuts riff Dog Sees God: Confessions of a Teenage Blockhead. More recently, she did an eight-week stint as Roxie Hart in Chicago in London’s West End.
After appearing with Michael Peña in End of Days, Ferrera will again be seen with the actor in the Diego Luna-directed biopic, Chavez, playing the wife of Latin American civil rights activist Cesar Chavez.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day