- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
“The head is still high,” said Colton Dixon minutes after his shocking Thursday elimination. It seems it came as a surprise to nearly everybody but him.
“I strayed too far from who I was,” the 20-year-old Murfreesboro, Tennessee native told The Hollywood Reporter‘s special correspondent and season 9 alum Didi Benami following the show. “I knew I was going to be in the bottom three … I turned off a lot of my audience by choosing Lady Gaga.”
The song he went with was “Bad Romance,” a No. 1 hit for Gaga and an Idol favorite during Hollywood Week in 2009 — and one Dixon readily admitted “wasn’t me.”
Still, he was in good spirits upon greeting the assembled press and had yet to see or read the outpouring of well wishes coming his way on Twitter and beyond — including a tweet by season 4 winner Carrie Underwood, which THR showed Colton soon after it posted.
Watch his reaction to that moment and the crazy ride that is American Idol in the video above. And let us know what you think of Colton’s elimination. Did Gaga do him in?
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day