- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
It was an action-packed Thursday night on American Idol, as season 11 favorite Jessica Sanchez garnered the fewest votes and had to be saved by the judges. The word came down halfway through her sing-for-your-life song — the relieved 16-year-old would go on to sing another day.
VIDEO: Idol Top 13 Party: Ryan Seacrest and Judges
It’s not the first time a big-voiced diva who was long considered a frontrunner came close to being sent home. Look no further than season 10’s Pia Toscano, who was famously let go in ninth place.
STORY: ‘American Idol’ Designer Shops for Contestants’ Costumes in West Hollywood
What did Idol‘s own Randy Jackson make of the way things went down? The judge, along with Wind-Up Records CCO Gregg Wattenberg (who signed season 10’s James Durbin) talked to THR special correspondent and season 9 alum Didi Benami about the “crazy” elimination episode moments after the credits rolled.
Watch the video above.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day