- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
On Wednesday, the streaming giant revealed the first look at its forthcoming reboot of the beloved series, Anne, which stars Amybeth McNulty in the title role.
Neflix, which is producing the series with CBC, also announced a premiere date for the new adaptation: May 12.
First announced in January 2016, Anne hails from Emmy-winning writer Moira Walley-Beckett (Breaking Bad) and the two-hour series premiere will be directed by Niki Caro (Whale Rider).
Like the famed book by Lucy Maud Montgomery, the series centers on a young orphaned girl in 1890, who, after an abusive childhood spent in orphanages and the homes of strangers, is mistakenly sent to live with an elderly spinster and her aging brother. Over time, 13-year-old Anne transforms their lives and eventually the small town in which they live with her spirit, intellect and imagination.
Miranda de Pencier (Beginners) will executive produce under her Northwood Entertainment banner. Wally-Beckett, the series’ showrunner, also will exec produce with Alison Owen (Saving Mr. Banks) and Debra Hayward (Bridget Jones’s Diary). Susan Murdoch will produce.
Watch the first footage below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Warner Bros. Discovery