- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Asia Argento has been fired as a judge on X Factor Italy, sources confirm to The Hollywood Reporter.
Audiences will still see her on the first seven episodes of the season, which were already shot earlier this summer, beginning Sept 6. The episodes include initial auditions to narrow down competitors for the 12 final spots.
The live portion of the show will officially begin with a new judge and the main cast from Oct. 25. Sources say that Sky Italia does not want to penalize the 40,000 people who initially attended the casting for one of the final 12 coveted spots on the show. The process would have to be scrapped and started anew if the show cut Argento completely to start casting from scratch.
The news follows allegations in The New York Times that Argento paid a $380,000 settlement to former child actor Jimmy Bennett for a sexual assault in California when he was 17 and she was 37. The age of consent in California is 18. She has admitted to the payout, but has denied all charges.
Italian papers first reported that she has been fired from the show over the weekend.
The new judge will be announced Sept. 5 during the X Factor press conference in Milan. Producers FremantleMedia Italia and Sky Italia are expected to make a statement shortly, but previously said that although they hired the actress for her TV and music skills, not for her status in the #MeToo movement, they would not work with her if the allegations were proved true.
Argento has not yet responded to the news.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
More from The Hollywood Reporter
Kristen Welker Named New Moderator of NBC’s ‘Meet the Press’ as Chuck Todd Set to Exit the Program
The Full Monty
‘The Full Monty’ Star Hugo Speer Says He Was Dropped From Disney+ Spinoff After Runner Saw Him Naked in Trailer
Neil Patrick Harris Says Filming for ‘Uncoupled’ Season 2 Is “on Pause” Due to Writers Strike
Writers Guild Members Get Candid About What Makes This Writers Strike Different Than Previous Ones: “We’re Mad”
The Good Fight
Script to Scene: ‘The Good Fight’ Scribes Detail the Paramount+ Drama’s Final Moments