- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
On Thursday, the comedian spoke at a New York fundraiser for Obama, where the president revealed daughter Malia, 13, is “a big fan” of NBC’s Parks and Rec.
“So having Aziz here is like the only thing she thinks is worth me doing,” Obama said. “I want to thank him for what he said earlier. I know he’s backstage, but I just want to say that I have more Twitter followers than you, man.”
The $1000 per-head fundraiser was organized by Ansari and other notable supporters, including Russell Brand and Deepak Chopra. Music was provided by the Roots, and proceeds went to the Obama Victory Fund, which splits donations between the president’s reelection campaign and the Democratic National Committee.
As THR reported last month, Obama’s fundraising in Hollywood was down dramatically in 2011. This year, his campaign has been courting deep-pocketed Hollywood supporters by offering donation packages priced in the tens of thousands, which give access to exclusive fundraising events.
For Ansari, being one of Obama’s Hollywood admirers does not make him a polished political advocate by any means.
“I’m the guy that makes a living saying things like ‘What’s crackin’ boo?’ on TV” he told Yahoo News ahead of the event.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Framing Britney Spears
Michael K. Williams
The Late Show