- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Strictly, the format known as Dancing With the Stars in the U.S., attracted an average audience of 8.4 million, the same figure as for the 2013 season premiere, which was the highest launch episode in at least four years.
Singing talent show X Factor drew an average audience of 7.8 million in the rare head-to-head showdown, which had led to Cowell criticizing the BBC’s scheduling decision.
In terms of peak ratings, Strictly had a five-minute peak of 9.4 million viewers, the same as for its 2013 season debut and ahead of X Factor.
X Factor has been hoping to build ratings momentum with Cowell back as one of the judges for the first time in years. Strictly has beaten X Factor in the ratings in the past two seasons. The two big shows typically don’t go head-to-head, as Strictly usually starts earlier, with only some overlap.
The other X Factor judges this year are Louis Walsh, former Spice Girl Mel B and Cheryl Fernandez-Versini, formerly Cole.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day