- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
The Bible producer Roma Downey felt her show was “hijacked” after a social-media firestorm ensued in March over the alleged physical similarity between President Obama and the actor who played Satan.
“The night before that broke in the news, Jesus had made his first appearance on the screen and I was so looking forward to Monday and knowing that Jesus would be on the lips of everyone,” she told Oprah Winfrey in released excerpts of an interview to be aired Sunday, April 14, on OWN.
STORY: From ‘The Bible’ to the Amish, Why Religion Is Hot on Cable
Downey added: “For Satan to be the point of conversation was really heartbreaking. … We love the president, we have nothing but respect for the president. We felt somehow hijacked.”
Her husband and Bible co-producer, Mark Burnett, brushed off the controversy, saying, “If you’re gonna do what we do for a living, which is stick your neck out there … it’s a free country and you got to accept that.”
The conclusion of the miniseries, which aired on Easter Sunday, garnered 11.6 million viewers.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
More from The Hollywood Reporter
‘Yellowjackets’ Star on Filming the Cannibalism and Death in Season 2 Finale: “Seven Hours of Crying”
Bill Hader on Turning Point for Barry in the HBO Series: “A Nice Reminder That He’s Not a Good Guy”
‘Succession’ Star Peter Friedman Reveals His Pick for Logan Roy’s Successor, Says Some Fans Are “on the Right Track”