- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Sunday’s NFL game between the Philadelphia Eagles and the Dallas Cowboys matched NBC’s highest overnight number ever for its Sunday Night Football Franchise.
The game delivered a 16.5 overnight household rating, which also ties as the best Sunday or Monday primetime NFL overnight in 12 years. NBC’s coverage likewise improved on last year’s game by 20%.
NBC easily won the night, with CBS in second place. CBS’ lineup was both pushed off-schedule and inflated due to NFL overrun, though estimates say the finale of Amazing Race (11.7 million viewers, 3.5 preliminary adults 18-49 rating) will end up within 5% of last fall’s closer.
In third, Fox aired a one-hour Family Guy holiday special (8 million, 4.0) that’s sure to rank as a classic episode in the franchise. Family Guy was up 21% from its last original. Lead-in The Simpsons (7.3 million, 3.3) was down 21%, but at 9:30 p.m. Family Guy helped boost American Dad‘s holiday epsiode (6.3 million, 3.1) up 24% to a season high.
ABC’s Extreme Makeover (8.6 million, 2.4) was up 9%, Desperate Housewives (11.5 million, 3.5) tied as the show’s season low, and Brothers & Sisters (8.8 million, 2.5) rose 19%.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day