- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Another one of Bill Cosby‘s rape accusers has come out to reveal details of her alleged experience.
In an essay on Hollywood Elsewhere, Joan Tarshis wrote that the comedian drugged and raped her on two occasions in the fall of 1969 when she was 19 years old.
Tarshis, a former actress, music industry publicist and journalist, wrote that she met Cosby through mutual friends, and he often invited her to his room on the Universal lot, where he was shooting The Bill Cosby Show. He would allegedly ply her with food and drinks, often pouring beer into her Bloody Mary’s, even though he himself never drank.
One night, Cosby allegedly invited her to help him work on material for the show, where he made her one of his Bloody Mary-and-beer concoctions. She claims she was in the middle of discussing a scene with him when she lost consciousness.
“The next thing I remember was coming to on his couch while being undressed,” she wrote. “Through the haze, I thought I was being clever when I told him I had an infection, and he would catch it, and his wife would know he had sex with someone. But he just found another orifice to use. I was sickened by what was happening to me and shocked that this man I had idolized was now raping me.”
Tarshis said she felt guilty and did not tell anyone about the incident. She wrote that the second time he drugged and raped her came after he asked her mother if she could attend a show with him, and she did not feel comfortable turning down the invite and telling her mom about the previous rape.
“[Upon regaining conscious the second time,] I remember thinking, ‘You old shit, I guess you got me this time, but it’s the last time you’ll ever see me,’ ” she wrote, adding that it took her 20 years before she talked about these incidents to anyone.
Tarshis wrote in the essay that she hadn’t heard anyone else accuse Cosby of sexual assault until 2004, and she now feels that the time is right to tell her story publicly.
Barbara Bowman, another alleged victim, wrote in a Washington Post op-ed last week that she was drugged and raped by Cosby in the 1980s. In 2006, Cosby settled out of court with Andrea Constand, who claimed he sexually assaulted her.
In a statement released Sunday, Cosby’s rep said the resurfaced allegations are untrue, and Cosby himself refused to respond to questions about the claims during an NPR interview on Saturday. The allegations have caused a public uproar since comedian Hannibal Buress addressed them on stage last month.
Lawyers for Cosby and Constand clarified on Monday that Cosby’s attorney’s statement on Sunday “was not intended to refer in any way to” Constand.
“As previously reported, differences between Mr. Cosby and Ms. Constand were resolved to the mutual satisfaction of Mr. Cosby and Ms. Constand years ago,” the statement continues. “Neither Mr. Cosby nor Ms. Constand intends to comment further on the matter.”
Nov. 17, 12:23 p.m. This story has been updated with a new statement from Cosby and Constand’s attorneys.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day