- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Blair Underwood is being summoned back to court.
The L.A. Law alum has boarded ABC’s divorce drama pilot produced by Reese Witherspoon, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
From writer Meaghan Oppenheimer, the project centers on a ruthless Dallas divorce attorney whose life begins to unravel when her emotionally damaged, love-addicted sister resurfaces, triggering self-destructive tendencies and exposing long-hidden family secrets.
Underwood will play James, Gemma’s boss and sometimes lover. He was Gemma’s law professor and mentor for years, instilling in her a sense of cutthroat ambition. And he’s the one person unafraid to cut Gemma down to size.
The role extends Underwood’s relationship at the network, where he previously starred on Dirty Sexy Money and more recently has recurred on Agents of SHIELD. His other roles include In Treatment, The New Adventures of Old Christine and an upcoming appearance on The Good Wife. He is repped by ICM and Thruline.
Oppenheimer (Fear the Walking Dead) will write the untitled divorce drama and executive produce with Witherspoon and her Pacific Standard topper Bruna Papandrea. ABC Studios will produce.
Keep up with all the latest pickups, castings and eventual series orders with THR‘s handy guide to pilot season.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day