- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
NFL star quarterback Cam Newton sported a pin featuring the cultural icon Rosie the Riveter when he arrived Sunday at Ford Field in Detroit for the Carolina Panthers’ game against the Lions.
The pin was on his fedora.
The Panthers quarterback came under fire last week when he insulted Charlotte Observer reporter Jourdan Rodrigue during a press conference.
“It’s funny to hear a female talk about routes. It’s funny,” he said when Rodrigue asked a question.
Newton later posted a video apology for the incident.
Panthers spokesman Steven Drummond said in a statement to the Associated Press that Newton spoke with Rodrigue after the news conference and expressed regret for his remark.
The remark also hit Newton in the pocketbook, as Dannon, the maker of Oikos yogurt, cut ties with football player. The company released a statement saying it was “shocked and disheartened” by Newton’s comments to Rodrigue.
— Carolina Panthers (@Panthers) October 8, 2017
Cam Newton boarded the team plane for Detroit today with a custom “Rosie the Riveter” campaign hat. pic.twitter.com/BZwYFamQjD
— Panthers Source (@PanthersSource) October 7, 2017
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day