- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Canada’s CityTV, together with Shaftesbury and Pope Productions, have greenlighted Rex, an English-language adaptation of the long-running German dog-and-cop series Rex, a Cop’s Best Friend.
The first eight-episode season of Rex, starring John Reardon, Mayko Nguyen and Enrico Colantoni, has begun shooting in St. John’s, Newfoundland.
The original Rex, a Cop’s Best Friend ran for 18 seasons and was a ratings hit across continental Europe. It aired in 125 countries worldwide, making it one of the most successful European series of all time. The family-friendly procedural focuses on a police detective who solves crimes with his dedicated former K9 officer Rex.
Reardon stars as Detective Charlie Hudson in the new, English-language version, Nguyen plays chief of forensics Sarah Truong and Colantoni plays superintendent Joseph De Luca. Rex is played by Diesel, a former Canadian Kennel Club grand champion.
Christina Jennings, Scott Garvie, Paul Pope, Ken Cuperus and Avrum Jacobson will executive produce Rex, with Laura Harbin as supervising producer and Julie Lacey as producer. Friedemann Goez and Oliver Bachert will exec produce for Beta Film.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day