- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Carrie Underwood is the new voice of Sunday Night Football.
Following Faith Hill‘s exit as the singer of “Waiting All Day for Sunday Night,” Underwood comes to the broadcast as the third singer to join the NBC Sports telecast.
“For me it just seemed like something fun to do,” said Underwood during a Tuesday call with reporters, “especially seeing Faith get that hype before the game. It seemed like a good fit and a good time.”
Sunday Night Football producer Fred Gaudelli added that Underwood was among the network’s first choices to sing the theme back when the series premiered in 2006, but timing did not work out. (Prior to Hill, the theme was performed by Pink for one season.)
Underwood has yet to go into the studio to record the version but added that would happen in the coming weeks.
“We want to make it sound different, like me,” added Underwood. “We want to be mindful of [Faith’s version] and change it up.”
News of Underwood joining Sunday Night Football marks a second high profile collaboration between the singer and NBC this year. She was recently tapped to play Maria von Trapp in the network’s live Sound of Music telecast set for December.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Last Week Tonight With John Oliver
The Flight Attendant