- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
For those keeping score: CBS just won the fifth week of the broadcast season.
That’s five for five, only the third time in the 23-year history of Nielsen’s current measuring method that a broadcaster has won the first five weeks of the season in viewers and demos. (The previous winner was NBC in 1997 and 1988).
The question is whether CBS can maintain strong enough momentum to hold off Fox once the Super Bowl and American Idol kick in after the first of the year. The Super Bowl alone can give Fox a tenth of a rating point to its overall season average. Internal network projects say its indeed possible for CBS to put an end to Fox’s six-year winning streak — if and only if a Simon Cowell-free Idol takes a big enough drop.
CBS: 2.9 adults 18-49 rating, 11.5 million viewers
NBC: 2.7, 8 million
ABC: 2.5, 8.9 million
Fox: 2.4, 7.5 milllion
The CW: 0.9, 2.1 million
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
The Flight Attendant