- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The four-part drama, which aired on Channel 4 in the U.K. and premiered in the U.S. on Hulu this month, has sold across most of Europe, as well as Australia and Canada.
Coltrane stars as an aging, beloved British comedian — a “national treasure” — who is arrested and accused of a rape dating back to the 1990s. Walters plays his wife, Riseborough their daughter. Written by Jack Thorne (This Is England) and executive produced by George Faber (Shameless) and George Ormond (War and Peace) for Brit production house The Forge, National Treasure focuses on both the investigation into the alleged crime and the impact the arrest, trial and verdict have on the family.
All3media International, which is handling international sales for the series, has signed deals with ABC for Australia and New Zealand, with Super Channel for Canada. In Europe, public broadcasters NRK in Norway, YLE in Finland, Ireland’s RUV and HRT in Croatia acquired National Treasure, with Comunidad Filmin taking rights for the series in Spain.
National Treasure was a ratings hit for Channel 4, drawing an average of 3 million, or 14.8 percent of the national audience, on its Tuesday night slot, more than doubling the broadcaster’s average.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day