- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
An estimated 50 positions across CNN were cut on Thursday as the network reorganizes television and digital units. The staff cuts primarily affected employees in New York, but positions in Atlanta, Los Angeles and Washington D.C. were also shed.
There were 28 positions from CNN Digital and CNN Money that were cut, a network insider told The Hollywood Reporter. CNN plans to add 22 newly created cross-platform positions in the CNN Money division that are expected to be filled by current employees.
The several dozen employees whose positions were cut or reassigned will be able to apply for other roles and the total number of staff at the network will remain roughly the same, another network insider said. Staff from the news-gathering division and libraries were also affected.
With the Time Inc. spinoff from Time Warner set for later this year, the CNN Money website is planning on separating Fortune magazine into standalone entity on June 1. Fortune and Money magazines are currently housed on the CNN Money site.
CNN has continued to reshuffle its programming under network president Jeff Zucker, unveiling on April 10 a new primetime lineup that includes more emphasis on original films and documentaries.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Late Night With Seth Meyers