- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
CNN’s bad week has turned into a bad month. With final ratings in for the period of April 30 to May 27, the network has hit a 20-year low among total viewers and a similarly poor showing among adults 25-54.
The cable news network, which turns 30 on June 1, posted an average of just 389,000 viewers in its primetime block of 8 to 11 p.m. for the month of May. Additionally, the network earned just 114,000 viewers among adults 25-54 — its second-lowest performance among the demo in 20 years.
Earlier in the month CNN had suffered particularly during its weekday primetime lineup, pulling in just 395,000 viewers in P2+ between May 14 and May 18, with original outings of Anderson Cooper’s AC360 and Piers Morgan Tonight. In the demo, it fell to just 111,000 viewers, ranking as its fourth-lowest week among adults 25-54.
Prior to May’s low, April had earned the distinction of being the network’s lowest-rated with total viewers in over a decade.
Four of CNN’s 10 weakest weeks of the past 20 years have fallen in 2012. Comparatively, it isn’t faring quite as poorly in the demo, with just two weeks of the year in its bottom 10.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Behind The Screen