- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Many in the entertainment industry trek from Hollywood to Comic-Con not for any panel in Hall H, not to see if there are any comic properties to snap up, but for the thriving party scene that has cropped up over the past decade.
From movie and television studios to video game companies and publishers, the selection of parties to hit never has been greater. But getting invites still requires some Hollywood-style wheeling and dealing.
Here’s The Hollywood Reporter‘s full guide to parties at Comic-Con International, set to kick off Wednesday, July 17, with Preview Night.
Wednesday, July 17
• Hitfix and CBS Films present The To Do List party with stars from Maggie Carey’s film. The popular website likes to unfurl the carpet for the Con with an event that caters primarily to bloggers and the media, prepping the weary-to-be for the week ahead. 8 p.m.-midnight, Hotel Solamar, 435 Sixth Ave. Invitation only.
• SDCCBlog and OutsideComicCon’s “Enchantment Under the SDCC” party. The unofficial blog team offers tips, tricks and other geeky things to navigate the convention. 8-10 p.m., Henry’s Pub, 618 Fifth Ave. Open to the public.
Thursday, July 18
• DreamWorks Animation cocktail mixer. Filmmakers from Turbo, Mr. Peabody & Sherman, How to Train Your Dragon 2 in attendance. Southpaw Social Club, 815 J St. Invitation only.
• Focus Features and IGN host The World’s End party with stars from Edgar Wright’s Blood & Ice Cream trilogy including Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. 7-11 p.m. Float at the Hard Rock Hotel. Invitation only.
• Summit Entertainment’s Divergent, Ender’s Game, Escape party. 207 at the Hard Rock, 207 5th Ave., 8:30 p.m.-12:30 a.m. RSVP required.
• Game of Thrones beer tasting. Exclusive tasting of the Take the Black Stout, the new brew launching in the fall. 6-7 p.m., Wired Lounge at the Omni Hotel, 675 L Street, across from the Convention Center. Invitation only. (Wired Cafe will be open Thursday-Saturday from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. on the sixth floor of the Omni.)
• Kings of Con: Party with the Pussycat Dolls. 9 p.m.-2 a.m., Dollhouse. Invitation only.
• Insidious 2: Experience the world of Insidious in an interactive installation that takes you into the world of the Lambert family. Located in the haunted loft (formerly a brothel). 9 p.m., 10:30 p.m., midnight tours available via invitation only.
• eOne’s Haven party: Cast members from the Syfy series including Emily Rose, Lucas Bryant, Eric Balfour, Adam Copeland, Colin Ferguson, Rochard Donat and more will be joined by guests including Grant Bowler, Tim Jo, Mark Ryan, Matt Smith and Michael Rooker. 8-11 p.m., Sidebar, 536 Market St. Invitation only.
• Scholastic Comic-Con Party: Authors Jeff Brown, Brandon Mull, Greg Ruth and guests including James Burks, Jimmy Gownley, Jake Parker, Jeff Smith, Tom Sniegoski and Raina Telgemeier will be in attendance. 7-9:30 p.m. Summersalt Pool Deck & Lounge, Hotel Palomar, 1047 Fifth Ave. RSVP required.
• Principato Young Entertainment presents the PCB Entertainment and Cocktail reception. 8 p.m., Rama Thai, 327 4th Ave. RSVP only.
• Digitaria and Mashable’s Supermemes party: Invitation only party for digital entertainment executives. 8 p.m.-midnight, Diamondviewe Tower. RSVP required.
• Movies on Demand Lounge at the Hard Rock Hotel. 5:30-7:30, 2nd floor Watchtower. RSVP.
• A Celebration of Showrunners: Reception and whiskey tasting. 10 p.m.-midnight, Quality Social, 789 6th Ave., followed by afterparty on the RVIP Mobile Karaoke Lounge. Co-sponsored by Hitfix, Get Glue and Tullamore Dew. Free.
• MTV2 Party in the Park: Live music, free food and drinks. Free. 7-11 p.m., Petco Park. Free.
Friday, July 19
• Warner Bros. Television cocktail party. Talent and producers from 17 WBTV series likely to attend. 6:30-8:30 p.m., Float Rooftop Bar, Hard Rock Hotel, 207 Fifth Ave. Invitation only.
• The Walking Dead 10th Anniversary Celebration: Comics creator Robert Kirkman, stars Andrew Lincoln, Lauren Cohan, Danai Gurira, Chad Coleman and Scott Wilson will be joined by fans including Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, Neil Patrick Harris, Evan Peters, Alison Haislip, Tatiana Maslany, Olivia Munn, Kit Harington, Breckin Meyer, Kevin Shinick, Clare Grant, Julie Benz, Grant Bowler and more to toast the long-running graphic novels. Featuring a special performance by Weezer. 9 p.m., Gaslamp district parking lot at Island and Seventh avenues. Invitation only.
• Universal Pictures and Playboy’s Kick-Ass 2 party: Writer-director Jeff Wadlow is joined by film stars Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Donald Faison, Lindy Booth and comic creators Mark Millar and John S. Romita Jr. as well as additional guests. 9 p.m.-1 a.m., corner of Market Street and Seventh Avenue. Invitation only.
• Vikings Feast With the Cast. Sponsored by Wired and Pandora, dinner with the cast and creators. 8-11 p.m., Omni Hotel. RSVP required.
• Radical Studios Comic-Con Party. Sponsored by Radical Studios and Ploom. Artwork from the studio behind Oblivion and Hercules will be displayed along with vintage arcade games, a photo booth and more. 7-10 p.m. Ploom Arcade at the Keating Hotel, 820 5th Ave. Invitation only.
• DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Entertainment celebrate 75 years of Superman. 8:30 p.m.-midnight, Float Rooftop Bar, Hard Rock Hotel. Invitation only.
• FX Comic-Con bash. Sponsored by Maxim. Music from Jermaine Dupri, featuring talent from Archer, It’s Always Sunny, Sons of Anarchy and Wilfred, among others. 9 p.m.-2 a.m., Andaz Rooftop, 600 F St. Invitation only.
• Geek & Sundry community party, presented by Magic: The Gathering. Featuring Magic-themed photo booth, drinks and decor. Hands-on demos of the new iPad game, Magic 2014: Duels of the Planeswalkers. 8 p.m., Jolt’N Joe’s, 379 Fourth Ave. Open to the public.
• Star Wars Pet Fans “Yappy Hour”: Darth Vader, Chewbacca and others will help launch Petco’s Star Wars pet fans collection of toys and apparel for pooches with a happy-hour event. 4-7 p.m., Hotel Indigo, 509 Ninth Ave. Open to the public.
• Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed Pirate Ship party: Hang out with Aisha Tyler in the Players’ Lounge on the ship at the 5th Avenue landing behind the Convention Center. 9 p.m.-midnight, 600 Convention Way. Invitation only.
• Aisha Tyler and Ubisoft’s The Girl on Guy SDC 2013 Players’ party: Food, cocktails and exclusive Watch Dogs previews with DJs. RSVP. The Lion’s Share.
• Con of Darkness: Genre party saluting horror genre fans and insiders alike. Sponsored by Dark Sky Films (Frankenstein’s Army), IFC Midnight (Maniac), DreadCentral.com, the Haunted Hotel, Femmes Fatales and ShockTillYouDrop.com. Special guest DJ, ghoul dancers, customized refreshments. 8-11 p.m., Voyeur, 755 Fifth Ave. Invitation only or via social media giveaways.
• Shiftylook: Music from Space Town Savior, Tommy Pedrini, Alex Culang and more. Invitation only. 8 p.m.-midnight, Shiftylook Freeplay Arcade at the HIlton Gaslamp.
• Buzzfeed and the CW Seed happy hour. Featuring a conversation with Jane Espenson, Brad Bell, Wilson Bethel and Dugan O’Neal. 5-8 p.m., Altitude Sky Lounge at the Marriott. RSVP.
• Break Media comedy show featuring Nick Kroll, Paul F. Tompkins, Jonah Ray, Ron Funches and Hal Rucnick. 7 p.m., Dick’s Last Resort, 345 4th Ave. Invitation only.
Saturday, July 20
• Bill Prady’s annual meet-up. 3-7 p.m., Hilton San Diego Bayfront Hotel, 1 Park Blvd. Invitation only.
• NBC Digital Network party. Talent from Saturday Night Live, The Blacklist, Grimm, Revolution, Community and more mingle at the invitation-only event. 7-9 p.m., Hard Rock Hotel.
• Bates Motel party, sponsored by The Hollywood Reporter. Guest include Vera Farmiga, Freddie Highmore, Max Thieriot, Olivia Cooke, Nestor Carbonell, Carlton Cuse and Kerry Ehrin. 9 p.m.-1 a.m., Gang Kitchen, 345 Sixth Ave. Invitation only.
• 20th Century Fox Television Comic-Con mixer. 7-9 p.m., Bankers Hill, 2202 Fourth Ave. Invitation only.
• True Blood party, sponsored by HBO and IMDb. Cocktails and bites. 8 p.m.-midnight, Side Bar, 536 Market St. Invitation only.
• Entertainment Weekly’s Comic-Con bash. Float at the Hard Rock Hotel. Invitation only.
• The Weinstein Co. and Annapurna Pictures presents The Grandmaster: Happy hour with Wong Kar Wai. 6-8 p.m., Katsuya, 600 F St. RSVP only.
• Evil Dead Blu-ray release party. Slipknot’s Corey Taylor and DJ Green Lantern to perform. Guests include Fede Alvarez and Jane Levy. The Commons, 8 p.m.-midnight. 21 and over.
• Arcana Comic-Con After Party. Live performance by White Arrows. Cocktails, appetizers, photo booth, classic arcade games, swag bags and more. 7-10 p.m., Ploom at the Keating Hotel, 820 5th Ave. RSVP required.
• Redemption: The Darkness Descending fan launch party. Party with cast members Danny Trejo, Frank Krueger and Kinga Philipps, among others. 4-7 p.m., Vin De Syrah. Free.
• Hulu’s The Awesomes after-party: Seth Meyers, Mike Shoemaker, Ike Barinholtz, Taran Killam, Bobby Thompson, Bobby Moynihan and Chris Hardwick expected to attend. 8-11 p.m., Andaz hotel rooftop, 600 F St. RSVP only.
Compiled by Lesley.Goldberg@THR.com
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day