Coming 2 America became the first Amazon title to finish first in Nielsen’s overall streaming rankings in the week of March 1-7. A week later, it became the first feature film from any of the four platforms Nielsen regularly measures to repeat as No. 1.
Though it fell by about 45 percent week to week, the Eddie Murphy-led comedy still topped the streaming rankers for March 8-14 with 770 million minutes of viewing time. That’s equivalent to 7 million full runs of the 110-minute movie. Coming 2 America also held a commanding lead over the No. 2 movie for the week, Netflix’s Yes Day (402 million minutes).
Overall streaming volume for the week of March 8-14 was down considerably from the prior frame across Amazon, Disney+, Hulu and Netflix: The top 10 titles overall drew a collective 5.47 billion minutes of watch time, down more than 30 percent (from 7.97 billion) the week of March 1-7.
Netflix’s Ginny & Georgia remained the top original series, collecting 722 million minutes of viewing time. Viewership of The Crown (449 million) rose 85 percent week to week following CBS’ broadcast of Oprah Winfrey’s interview with Meghan Markle and Prince Harry.
Raya and the Last Dragon improved some in its second week; the Disney+ film, which is a premier title (costing $30 to watch on top of a subscription), had 390 million minutes of viewing time vs. 355 million the week before. Criminal Minds (699 million) led acquired series.
Streaming platforms contend Nielsen’s methodology doesn’t capture the full scope of viewing on devices other than TV sets. Nielsen also only measures U.S. audiences, not those in other countries, and currently only includes Amazon, Disney+, Hulu and Netflix in its rankings.
Nielsen’s streaming top 10s for March 8-14 are below. Original streaming films are marked with an asterisk.
1. Ginny & Georgia (Netflix), 722 million minutes viewed
2. The Crown (Netflix), 449 million
3. WandaVision (Disney+), 388 million
4. Murder Among the Mormons (Netflix), 264 million
5. Behind Her Eyes (Netflix), 261 million
6. Last Chance U: Basketball (Netflix), 234 million
7. Longmire (Netflix), 202 million
8. Bridgerton (Netflix), 198 million
9. The One (Netflix), 186 million
10. The Great British Baking Show (Netflix), 184 million
1. Criminal Minds (Netflix), 699 million minutes
2. Grey’s Anatomy (Netflix), 628 million
3. Cocomelon (Netflix), 458 million
4. Good Girls (Netflix), 449 million
5. NCIS (Netflix), 441 million
6. Schitt’s Creek (Netflix), 438 million
7. Heartland (Netflix), 416 million
8. Supernatural (Netflix), 393 million
9. Henry Danger (Netflix), 335 million
10. New Girl (Netflix), 312 million
1. Coming 2 America* (Amazon), 770 million minutes
2. Yes Day* (Netflix), 402 million
3. Raya and the Last Dragon* (Disney+), 390 million
4. Parker (2013) (Netflix), 345 million
5. Moana (Disney+), 201 million
6. I Care a Lot* (Netflix), 196 million
7. Bigfoot Family (Netflix), 185 million
8. Moxie* (Netflix), 158 million
9. The Dark Knight (Netflix), 157 million
10. Safe Haven (Netflix), 140 million