- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
TORONTO – Giving ex-cons a second chance is paying off again for Canadian TV.
Indie producer Proper Television has started shooting Redemption Inc., a reality series about ex-offenders launching new businesses that is based on an original format from British producer Wide-Eyed Entertainment.
The eight one hour series for the CBC to bow in winter 2012 will be hosted by Canadian Dragon’s Den star Kevin O’Leary.
Cameras rolling on Redemption Inc. follows rival broadcaster Citytv airing two seasons of Conviction Kitchen, a reality that put ex-cons with no culinary skills to work in a classy Toronto restaurant under the eagle eye of celebrity chef Marc Thuet.
Redemption Inc. will see host O’Leary investing his own money in new business ventures by ex-cons where they use their school-of-hard-knock skills to succeed on the right side of the law.
“With Kevin’s wealth of knowledge, practical business advice and brutally honest style, Redemption Inc. is sure to challenge perceptions and excite debate across the country,” Guy O’Sullivan, president of Proper Television, explained.
Cathie James will executive produce the CBC series, while Dean Palmer produces.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day