- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Lesley Manville, who was nominated for an Oscar for her role in Phantom Thread, is joining the final season of Netflix hit drama The Crown to play Princess Margaret, Queen Elizabeth II’s younger sister.
She will take over the role from Helena Bonham-Carter. Vanessa Kirby previously also played Princess Margaret in the series about the British royal family.
“I could not be happier to be playing Princess Margaret,” Manville said via the show’s Twitter feed. “The baton is being passed on from two formidable actresses, and I really don’t want to let the side down. Furthermore to play siblings with my dear friend Imelda Staunton will be nothing short of a complete joy.”
Earlier this year, Staunton was unveiled as taking on the role of Queen Elizabeth II, replacing Olivia Coleman.
The Crown is written by Peter Morgan and produced by Left Bank Pictures, which is majority owned by Sony. The show’s fourth season is scheduled to come out later this year, with the fifth and final season due to be shot in 2021.
Morgan had previously planned the series over six seasons. “Now that we have begun work on the stories for season five it has become clear to me that this is the perfect time and place to stop,” he said in January.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day