- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Daily Show is going all in for the upcoming political conventions.
The Trevor Noah-hosted program on Monday announced an ambitious, multiplatform strategy to cover both the DNC and RNC that includes two new pre-convention broadcast specials and partnerships including a three-part Snapchat special, a simulcast on SiriusXM’s Comedy Central Radio Channel and a launch on Amazon’s Alexa voice service.
In addition, The Daily Show will stage an activation in Cleveland, the site of Republican proceedings, set for Sunday, July 17, and Monday, July 18, free to the public that will feature interactive games, a photo booth and more.
As previously announced, The Daily Show is the only late-night entry that will broadcast from the locations of both conventions — the Democratic gathering is set for Philadelphia — for a special week of shows from each city.
The Daily Show With Trevor Noah Presents The 2016 Republican National Convention: Submission Accomplished will tape in Cleveland from Tuesday, July 19-Friday, July 22, and The Daily Show With Trevor Noah Presents The 2016 Democratic National Convention: Let’s Not Get Crazy will originate from Philadelphia from Tuesday, July 26-Friday, July 29.
Noah and the Daily Show team will kick off each week with a pre-convention, clip show: The Daily Show With Trevor Noah: The Road to “The Road” on July 18 for the RNC, and The Daily Show With Trevor Noah: What to Expect When You’re Expectant for the DNC on July 25.
Beginning July 18, SiriusXM subscribers will be able to simulcast The Daily Show for the first time. Starting that same day, Alexa voice service users will be able to get Daily Show flash briefings.
And on Snapchat, the three-part special The Daily Show Convention Coverage 2016: Democalypse Now will launch on Friday to coincide with the show’s coverage of the national conventions. The specials will feature exclusive short-form episodes produced by the show featuring Noah and Daily Show correspondents. Episode two will premiere on Friday, July 22, timed to RNC coverage and episode three will air on Friday, July 29.
This is the latest collaboration between Comedy Central and Snapchat. The Viacom-owned cabler, which programs one of the 21 channels on Snapchat’s Discover platform, has nearly a dozen short-form series on the photo-sharing app, which star network personality Nikki Glaser.
Finally, The Daily Show Convention Sideshow activation will take place Sunday, July 17, and Monday, July 18, from 12-5 p.m. at 2400 Superior Ave. E in Cleveland. Activities include:
• Run for the Border: As the marquee activation, “Run for the Border” offers attendees a chance to put their political passion to the test with an interactive game that’s fun for everyone. The activation is oriented in front of an expansive digital projection and features a row of seats equipped with hand controls that propel onscreen avatars in a race to the nearest border.
• The Hall of Presidents: Puts a political spin on fun-house mirrors, featuring a hallway full of satirical hairstyles and pantsuits, commonplace to the political landscape.
• The Yuuge Wall: Brings the issue of border control to life with a literal huge wall installation. Complemented by politically inspired graffiti penned by Cleveland-based artists, participants also will have the chance to leave their own mark.
• Grab-a-Delegate: Participants compete for bragging rights by stepping into a glass wind-machine booth and grabbing as many paper props as they can (think faux “dirty money” and one nominee’s “deleted emails”).
• Hot Button Issues: This whack-a-mole-inspired game gives players a fun way to drop the proverbial (foam) hammer on politics and punditry antics, from gun control to climate change to immigration.
• The Daily Show Desk: The best seat in the house! Positioned as a lounge area with a full-sized replica of Noah’s Daily Show desk, this activation allows attendees to snap photos from the host’s chair.
Among the other late-night shows planning special convention coverage include The Late Show With Stephen Colbert, which will air live during both conventions, and Late Night With Seth Meyers, will go live for post-RNC coverage on July 21. HBO’s Real Time With Bill Maher also will go live during both conventions.
The Daily Show airs nightly at 11 p.m. ET/PT on Comedy Central.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day