- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
David Beckham will return to the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer, according to several news reports Wednesday.
The midfielder had been expected to play for a European club next season after his five-year, $32.5-million contract with the Galaxy expired Dec. 31. Paris Saint-Germain had been among the suitors, offering a reported $1 million a month, but it ended its pursuit after execs said Beckham wanted to stay in Los Angeles.
The superstar’s new new deal with the Galaxy is expected to call for a sabbatical from MLS play, allowing the Englishman to participate in the Summer Olympics in London. The 34-match MLS regular season runs from March until October.
Beckham’s return is great news for Time Warner Cable, which will begin televising Galaxy matches next season as part of a 10-year, $55 million local rights deal. TWC will launch two fledgling regional sports channels — one in English, one in Spanish — this year.
Beckham, who turns 38 in May, had his finest MLS season in 2011, leading the team to the championship and earning comeback player of the year honors. It is said that his wife, former Spice Girl Victoria Beckham, and their four children enjoy the Southern California lifestyle. He has also played for Manchester United, Real Madrid and AC Milan during his career.
The Galaxy is expected to hold a news conference Thursday to confirm the new deal.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day