- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
A day after announcing that she is leaving Disney Channel’s Sonny with a Chance, tween star Demi Lovato has revealed that she suffers from bipolar disorder.
During a three-month stay at a treatment center where she underwent therapy for anorexia, bulimia and cutting, she tells People she learned why she was having trouble controlling her emotions and actions.
“There were times when I was so manic, I was writing seven songs in one night and I’d be up until 5:30 in the morning,” she said. “I feel like I am in control now where my whole life I wasn’t in control.”
In a statement, the Disney Channel says: “We respect Demi’s decision to focus fulltime on her music and not immediately return to her acting career,” said a Disney Channel spokesperson in a statement. “She is a talented young woman and our hearts are with her as she continues to take action to improve her health and bounce back from adversity.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day