- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Disney Channel found a ratings winner with animated TV movie Sofia the First: Once Upon a Princess.
Featuring voice performances by Ariel Winter, Sara Ramirez, Wayne Brady and Tim Gunn, Sofia the First — centered on a little girl who becomes a princess — drove an impressive 5.2 million viewers to its Sunday premiere telecast.
The telepic became the top cable telecast among kids 2-5 in the past five years averaging 1.5 million viewers. More than 1.4 million who tuned in belonged in the adults 18-49 demo, with more than 3 million belonging in kids 2-11 and nearly 1 million in girls 2-5.
A Sofia the First series, following “Sofia’s journey of becoming the best she can be, with relatable situational stories set in a magical world of castles, wizards and flying horses,” will launch some time in January.
Craig Gerber developed the movie and is co-executive producer/story editor, with Jamie Mitchell as executive producer/director. John Kavanaugh is songwriter/music director and Kevin Kliesch is the composer.
Disney Channel will air encores of Sofia the First this Tuesday through Sunday. Disney Junior will also air the movie Thursday morning.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day