- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Numerous organizations around the world have found they’ve had to quickly rebrand or remove product lines with the “Isis” tag to avoid being associated with the recently emerged Middle Eastern jihadist group.
According to one of its stars, this isn’t the case for Downton Abbey.
Writing on his website, Hugh Bonneville, who plays Lord Grantham, spoke out on the recent speculation surrounding Downton‘s pet Labrador, Isis.
The latest episode of the show’s fifth season, which aired in the U.K. over the weekend, saw the animal diagnosed with cancer, sparking rumors that it would be killed off because of its name.
“To clarify recent speculation, the Labrador that appeared in [season] one (1912-14) was a dog called Pharoah,” he wrote. “From [season] two (1916-1920) onward, the Labrador has been a bitch named — in keeping with the Egyptian theme — Isis.”
Added Bonneville: “Anyone who genuinely believes the [season] five storyline (1924) involving the animal was a reaction to recent world news is a complete berk.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day