- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
If you were surfing Twitter instead of watching the Primetime Emmys on TV, there’s a pretty good chance that changed about halfway through the show. At least for a minute or two, anyway.
Host Jimmy Kimmel — famous for his YouTube and Twitter-based challenges to his audience — used the awards show platform to prank the nation on Sunday evening. He urged everyone in the audience and at home to tweet, in unison, “OMG Tracy Morgan just passed out on stage during the Emmys, turn on ABC.”
To top it off, he even got the nunchucks-toting, sparkly tuxedo-wearing 30 Rock star to sprawl himself flat on the stage for a number of minutes, adding to the effect (and perhaps throwing off presenters Connie Britton and Hayden Panettiere).
Viewers followed through, leading to a boom of 25,000 tweets immediately after Kimmel made the request.
Kimmel himself tweeted from backstage, adding to the social media flavor of the evening.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day