- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Fox’s Empire is adding a familiar face to the mix for season three.
Phylicia Rashad (The Cosby Show) has joined the hip-hop drama’s third season in a recurring role, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
The Emmy winner will play Diana Dubois, a powerhouse from one of New York’s oldest and most prominent African-American families. As the mother of ambitious city councilman Angelo Dubois (season-three guest star Taye Diggs), she has her sights set on higher office for her only son and she’ll stop at nothing to help him get to the top. Diana’s interactions with Cookie (Taraji P. Henson), Lucious (Terrence Howard) and the rest of the Lyon clan will lay bare the stark class divides that can exist, even within the black community.
In addition to Diggs, Rashad also joins fellow series newcomers Mariah Carey, rapper French Montana, singer Sierra McClain, singer Kid Cudi, rapper Birdman and rapper Xzibit, who made his debut in the season-two finale and will return in a series-regular capacity.
In addition to her two-time Emmy-winning role on The Cosby Show as Claire Huxtable, Rashad’s recent credits include Creed, Psych and Lifetime’s 2012 Steel Magnolias remake.
Empire is set to return for season three on Wednesday, Sept. 21, at 9 p.m. ET/PT on Fox.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day