- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
You can tell Seth MacFarlane is eager to please, or at least prove that naming him host of the Oscars wasn’t what some might call a bad idea.
The multi-hyphenate talent, best known for his animated Fox series and the movie Ted (where he got a nomination for songwriting — allowing him to quip that he’ll be going to the Oscars), did something that hadn’t been done in 40 years. Like Charlton Heston (not bad company on the surface), he took part in announcing the Oscar nominees, joining actress Emma Stone.
MacFarlane was quick with his jokes (hell, the whole thing seemed to take just a few minutes anyway) and proved he won’t be afraid to get a little jabby with his humor — calling the supporting actor category “a breath of fresh air right there” after it was filled with previous winners — and taking a mild shot at the Weinsteins.
No matter what MacFarlane did at this quick, if unconventional, appearance, he’s going to be a lightning rod for criticism. However, on Thursday he did nothing more than be himself, and he demonstrated an easy repartee with Stone. It might have been a little quippy for people who are not that familiar with his brand of humor, but it was right on tone for his fans.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
We Are Lady Parts
Behind The Screen