- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Fox appears to be testing the waters for comedies on Thursday night.
The network said Wednesday that original episodes of New Girl and The Mindy Project will get Glee‘s plum post-American Idol slot April 4. Fox had said previously that Raising Hope would see its season finale air with back-to-back episodes during the 9 p.m. hour on Thursday, March 28. Glee, which moved from Tuesdays to Thursdays for the 2012-13 season, had no original episodes scheduled for either night.
PHOTOS: Up Close and Adorkable With the Cast of ‘New Girl’
News of a second Thursday outing for Tuesday’s half-hours comes on the heels of Fox’s January cancellation of Ben and Kate — and the accompanying nixing of the two-hour Tuesday comedy block. (After Raising Hope ends its Tuesday run next week, Hell’s Kitchen will fill the 8 p.m. hour starting March 12.)
While the episodes of New Girl and The Mindy Project are being billed as special outings, Fox might be curious about a possible home for half-hours that night. Thursdays have fared especially well for comedy on CBS since the network moved The Big Bang Theory to 8 p.m. during the 2010-11 season — with Two and a Half Men joining it in the fall 2012.
And though Thursday has long been home to NBC’s comedies, the upcoming series finale of The Office leaves the 9 p.m. hour wide open for comedy competition.
Email: Michael.OConnell@THR.com; Twitter: @MikeyLikesTV
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day