- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
While she did not share any details or offer any thoughts about Fox News, her former employer, Gretchen Carlson used an appearance at an Advertising Week event Tuesday to describe the genesis of her forthcoming book, Be Fierce: Stop Harassment and Take Your Power Back, which hits shelves Oct. 17.
Carlson, who sued late Fox News head honcho Roger Ailes last year and then settled for $20 million, said she received thousands of emails from women around the country and around the world who wanted to share with her their stories of being sexually harassed.
“There was this unbelievable amount of shame and pain and agony that came with these stories,” she said. “They felt like they had never been heard. … And I was like, ‘Wow, I need to do something with this. I need to honor the voices of these women who have never been heard before.'”
Carlson, through her book, encourages women to document instances of harassment in the work place, to tell people they trust about it, and to — if legal — record the conversations as evidence.
At an event dedicated to celebrating and exploring advertising, Carlson said it’s disappointing that it takes the defection of advertisers — as in the case of Bill O’Reilly’s exit from the network — to catalyze a decision to terminate a popular host.
At the end of her panel, Carlson was asked by an audience member for her opinion on White House counselor to the president Kellyanne Conway, but she demurred. “I hope to go back into the world of journalism, so I’m not going to give any particular opinion about any political side,” she said.
Carlson was also asked for her reaction to the election of Donald Trump, even following the release of the infamous Access Hollywood tape last October that showed the now-president making profane comments about women.
Carlson said the tape was “highly disappointing and disrespectful and eye-opening,” but that she saw it as a teachable moment. She said she sat down her children and had them watch the video. “I wanted them to hear the way in which you don’t treat people, ever,” she said. “And I wanted them to know it was wrong.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day