- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Maze Runner is an adaptation of the first installment of the James Dashner YA trilogy. The movie, directed by Wes Ball, topped last weekend’s box office with a solid $32.5 million.
The movie also grossed $37.6 million from 50 markets for a worldwide total of $81.5 million (the film began rolling out in several territories last weekend). The film has yet to open in 27 markets, including nine of the top 15.
Read more ‘The Maze Runner’: Film Review
Ball is back for the sequel as are the producers, Temple Hill Entertainment and the Gotham Group. Lead Dylan O’Brien is also back.
The story picks up — spoiler alert — after our teen heroes escape the deadly maze and are now in the run on an Earth that is a wasteland and ravaged by solar flares.
Gillen will play Janson, who becomes the main antagonist of the Maze Runner books. He is also referred to as Rat-Man.
The movie is due to begin shooting at the end of October.
Gillen, an Irish actor with plenty of credits back in the U.K. film and TV scene, also played a CIA operative in the opening sequence of The Dark Knight.
He is repped by Greene and Associates, Independent Talent Group and the Coronel Group.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day