Netflix’s mother-daughter dramedy Ginny & Georgia topped Nielsen’s streaming rankings for its first week of release.
The first-year series racked up 953 million minutes of viewing time for the week of Feb. 22-28, marking the third consecutive week of change at the No. 1 overall spot. The prior week’s leader, Good Girls, fell to second overall, while Firefly Lane, which led the week of Feb. 8-14, slipped further down the rankings in its fourth week.
Netflix’s movie I Care a Lot (807 million minutes) also had a strong showing, growing a little from its debut week. WandaVision on Disney+ also inched up, scoring its best total viewing time to date (732 million minutes) with the release of its eighth episode.
The audience for Ginny & Georgia was heavily female — so much so that according to Nielsen, even if it counted only female viewers, the show would still have ranked sixth among all streaming titles in the United States. WandaVision skewed the other way, ranking first overall among male viewers.
I Care a Lot was far and away the most watched movie on streaming, more than doubling the second-place title (animated movie Bigfoot Family, with 335 million minutes of watch time). For the first time, Hulu had two entries among the top 10 movies with The United States vs. Billie Holiday (124 million minutes) finishing seventh and Nomadland (97 million) in 10th.
Streaming platforms contend Nielsen’s methodology doesn’t capture the full scope of viewing on devices other than TV sets. Nielsen also only measures U.S. audiences, not those in other countries, and currently only includes Amazon, Disney+, Hulu and Netflix in its rankings.
Nielsen’s streaming top 10s for Feb. 22-28 are below. Original streaming films are marked with an asterisk.
1. Ginny & Georgia (Netflix), 953 million minutes viewed
2. WandaVision (Disney+), 732 million
3. Behind Her Eyes (Netflix), 577 million
4. Firefly Lane (Netflix), 383 million
5. Bridgerton (Netflix), 294 million
6. Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel (Netflix), 281 million
7. Age of Samurai: Battle for Japan (Netflix), 265 million
8. Longmire (Netflix), 234 million
9 (tie). The Crew (Netflix), 231 million
9 (tie). The Great British Baking Show (Netflix), 231 million
1. Good Girls (Netflix), 898 million minutes
2. Criminal Minds (Netflix), 800 million
3. Grey’s Anatomy (Netflix), 767 million
4. Schitt’s Creek (Netflix), 540 million
5. Cocomelon (Netflix), 534 million
6. iCarly (Netflix), 531 million
7. Heartland (Netflix), 519 million
8. NCIS (Netflix), 507 million
9. Outlander (Netflix), 431 million
10. The Sinner (Netflix), 426 million
1. I Care a Lot* (Netflix), 807 million minutes
2. Bigfoot Family (Netflix), 335 million
3. Moana (Disney+), 197 million
4. The Conjuring 2 (Netflix), 184 million
5. Flora & Ulysses* (Disney+), 180 million
6. Frozen (Disney+), 140 million
7. The United States vs. Billie Holiday* (Hulu), 124 million
8. Frozen II (Disney+), 123 million
9. Avengers: Endgame (Disney+), 105 million
10. Nomadland* (Hulu), 97 million