- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
For the week of July 16, the ABC News show won its fourth consecutive week among total viewers while also tying dominant Today among adults 25-54 for the first time in 17 years.
Nielsen gives GMA 4.598 million viewers for that five-day period, edging out Today by more than 300,000 viewers (Today pulled in 4.245 million viewers). In the demo, the two shows tied in the key demo, each earning 1.737 million viewers among adults 25-54.
“After 879 consecutive weeks, this team stands on the podium in an actual gold medal tie with [Today],” said ABC News president Ben Sherwood at the Television Critics Association summer press tour, before introducing a satellite feed of the celebrating GMA team.
This move comes just a week after GMA narrowed the demo gap with Today to just 2,000 viewers, though GMA now faces its biggest challenge since first topping Today among total viewers some 15 weeks ago.
History shows that NBC’s extensive coverage of the Olympics, with the Today team reporting live from London, will be a ratings boon for the recently struggling broadcast.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day