- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Based on the William Brinkley novel, The Last Ship centers on a global catastrophe that nearly obliterates the Earth’s population, forcing the crew of a naval destroyer to confront the reality of their new existence in a world where they are among the only survivors.
Dane will star in the pilot as Tom Chanler, the commanding officer of the USS Nathan James who’s married with two young daughters.
Last Ship hails from Platinum Dunes’ Brad Fuller and Andrew Form (A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) with Hank Steinberg (Without a Trace) and Steven Kane (The Closer) serving as executive producers. Steinberg and Kane co-wrote the pilot, which Bay will produce.
TNT picked up the pilot in July.
For Dane, the role marks his first gig since playing Mark Sloan on the Shonda Rhimes medical drama. His final Grey’s Anatomy episode aired last week and flashed back to the plane crash from which the character suffered fatal injuries. McSteamy’s fate was revealed in the season nine premiere.
Dane’s departure from Grey’s was announced in July. He’s repped by CAA, Management 360 and Stone Meyer.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day