Ben and Bailey kick-started their reunion as Teddy and Cristina continued to deal with the aftermath of Henry’s passing on Thursday’s “This Magic Moment” episode of Grey’s Anatomy.
In the meantime, Derek and Meredith settled into being new parents as they began capturing their family’s precious moments on video — and bringing Zola into the Seattle Grace family as the docs worked fast and furious to separate conjoined twins. Here are five things we learned from the episode.
[Warning: This story contains spoilers from Thursday’s episode of Grey’s Anatomy.]
1. Bailey and Ben 2.0. Two weeks after their reunion as a couple — “two weeks and nine months” total, Ben notes — Ben asks Bailey to move in with him. “You want to live with me, you love me,” Ben jokes to Bailey in the OR. An uncomfortable Bailey then turns to Meredith for advice — and to serve as a buffer — in one of her funniest scenes yet.
“I’m going to tell you something about my personal life,” she urgently tells Meredith. “My personal life is none of your business; the fact that I know things about your personal life is one of the great sadnesses of my existence.”
Ben isn’t fooled by Meredith’s sudden appearance in the OR and the conversation quickly turns to Bailey explaining all of Meredith’s professional misdeeds that have jeopardized her relationship with Derek in an attempt to dissuade Ben.
When that doesn’t work, Bailey attempts to change the subject so she can continue to be meticulous and not make sloppy mistakes like her co-workers, but then winds up doing just that when the nurses discover a missing sponge (that winds up being on the bottom of her shoe). Whoops.
Afterward, Bailey confesses that she’s afraid of losing it all again, having had to recover from a divorce and the hospital shooting. When Ben offers to take it one step at a time, it’s ultimately his love for her and Tuck that tips the scales in his favor as she finally agrees — to taking it one step at a time.
2. Everyonelikes Julia. During the epic surgery to separate the conjoined twins, Derek takes a poll of the OR to see just how many people like Mark’s new girlfriend. An uncomfortable Lexie, still fighting feelings for him, high-tails it out to avoid the massive show of support for Julia. Later, Lexie shows her hand when she hears Mark say that he wished she was in the OR with him — except for the fact that Mark was talking to Julia via Bluetooth.
3. Teddy and Cristina work it out. As Teddy struggles to understand Henry’s death, she has Cristina recount a play-by-play of the surgery — over and over again — until they’re both 100 percent certain that it wasn’t a medical error that claimed the life of her husband.
After the umpteenth time, they both realize that Henry’s death couldn’t have been avoided. “You don’t blame yourself, you did every single thing that I would have done. You were me in that OR, you were good and you did it right. He just … died,” Teddy sobs.
4. Baby Zola is seriously adorable. After starting the episode at filming home movies of their new family, Meredith brings Zola to work, where she watches — and applauds! — Derek’s successful surgery to separate conjoined twins. How cute is this kid? As they settle back down at home, Zola takes her first steps and warms everyone’s hearts for a second time.
5. The Chief gets crafty and Alex is a sucker. Webber craftily sneaks in to a big surgery — separating conjoined twins — and throws Alex under the bus. “A year from now, maybe two if I’m lucky, they’ll stick me in an office of the hospital that nobody goes to,” Webber tells him. “You reach a certain age, that’s what happens. It’s the order of things. I can’t think of anything more humiliating,” he tells Alex, apologizing. A sympathetic Alex winds up giving Webber the surgery — and getting taken for a second time. After Alex goes off on the Chief for taking him for a ride and not teaching him, the Chief has the last laugh: the whole thing was a lesson for Alex.
What did you think of Thursday’s Grey’s Anatomy? Now that Teddy has forgiven, what do you think she’ll do to Owen for keeping Henry’s death from her?
Grey’s Anatomy airs Thursdays at 9 p.m. on ABC. Watch a promo for next week’s episode below.