- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Harry Morgan, who was best known for his long-running portrayal of the fatherly Col. Potter on M*A*S*H*, died at his Los Angeles home Wednesday morning at 96 years old.
?A veteran of more than 50 years in films and TV, Morgan starred or co-starred in 11 TV series. He was an appealing Everyman whose calm manner and wry delivery were widely popular.
Here are five of his most iconic roles in film and TV:
1. Pete and Gladys (TV series)
Mogan played harried husband Pete Porter in the 1960-62 series opposite Cara Williams. He had originated the role in December Bride (1954-59).
2. Dragnet (TV series)
Mogan played Officer Bill Gannon opposite Jack Webb’s by-the-book Sgt. Joe Friday in the updated Dragnet, which aired from 1967-70. Watch the Season 2 DVD trailer below.
3. M*A*S*H (TV series)
Morgan played Col. Sherman T. Potter, commander of the 4077th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital unit in Korea, from 1975 until the series ended in 1983. He replaced McLean Stevenson, who had quit the series. Morgan won an Emmy in 1980 for his role.
4. AfterMASH (TV series)
He reprised the role of Col. Potter in the short-lived spinoff, which aired from 1982-85.
5. Dragnet (movie)
Morgan reprised his Dragnet role in the 1987 big-screen adapation of the TV series, playing the captain to Tom Hanks’ Detective Pep Streebek and Dan Aykroyd’s Sgt. Joe Friday.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day