- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
HBO is at work on a documentary that will delve into the state of cyber warfare as the U.S. heads toward the 2020 elections.
The Perfect Weapon, from director and executive producer John Maggio (Panic: The Untold Story of the 2008 Financial Crisis, The Newspaperman), is based on a best-selling book by New York Times national security correspondent David E. Sanger. The film will explore the rise of cyber conflict as the primary way nations now compete with and sabotage one another.
As fear mounts about potential cyber attacks on the 2020 elections in the U.S., the film will feature interviews with top military and intelligence officials and on-the-ground reporting from the front lines of the cyber wars. HBO is planning a 2020 premiere.
The Perfect Weapon comes from Ark Media (Finding Your Roots, Panic), the production company headed by Maggio, Barak Goodman and Rachel Dretzin. Former Vice News head Josh Tyrangiel and Sanger will executive produce with Maggio.
The Perfect Weapon will join a roster of recent HBO documentaries that includes the Emmy-winning Leaving Neverland, The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley, At the Heart of Gold, Liberty: Mother of Exiles, The Case Against Adnan Syed and Very Ralph.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day