- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Leftovers is coming.
Based on the Tom Perrotta novel, The Leftovers begins three years after 2 percent of the Earth’s population disappears without explanation and tells the story of the people who didn’t make the cut who live in a changed world.
The first teaser for Damon Lindelof‘s summer drama debuted ahead of Sunday’s anticipated return of HBO’s Game of Thrones and sets the stage: Images of past wars, sporting events and international landmarks flash by as a man explains the tragedy of 140 million citizens abruptly vanishing. Then a mother loses it when she discovers her young son gone from the backseat of her car, as well as glimpses appear of public upheaval, two people jumping off a building and Justin Theroux, the town’s police chief, screaming underwater.
“Hopefully what you’re going to care about when you watch the show more and more is how these characters are dealing with this situation in terms of living in this world and interacting with each other and less about about what happened and where everybody went and why,” Lindelof told reporters at TCA in January. “Although there will be characters on this show who are concerned with those things.”
The Leftovers premieres June 15 at 10 p.m. on HBO.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day