- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Thompson — uncle to Alana Thompson (aka “Honey Boo Boo”) and brother of her dad, Mike (aka “Sugar Bear”) — told Fenuxe that he took a test in March that came back negative, but two months later, his test was positive.
“I knew it had been my boyfriend who infected me,” he said. “I later learned he had been HIV positive and was not taking medication and had not bothered to tell me about it. I was advised that I should press charges and, hesitantly, I did. It was the right thing to do.”
His ex is now serving a five-year sentence, said Thompson, who married boyfriend Joshua Yarbroughe in August.
“I would have been cool with his HIV status if he had been honest,” he added. “I don’t have an issue with the disease. I would have known how to protect myself.”
Thompson’s revelation is part of an effort to promote safe sex. He called people who are having unprotected sex “damn fools.”
“They are playing Russian roulette; they are playing with their lives and that of their sexual partners,” he added.
Thompson also is working to combat bullying in schools, saying he was bullied after coming out while in high school.
Next up, he’s hoping to get his own TV show and “highlight what it is like being gay in the South. I think I have a good story to tell.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day