- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
[Warning: This story contains major spoilers from the midseason finale, “Kill Me, Kill Me, Kill Me,” of ABC’s How to Get Away With Murder.]
ABC’s How to Get Away With Murder flashed back to the night of Sam’s murder and pieced all its flash-forwards together, adding new scenes to fill in the holes and answer one of the show’s central mysteries during its midseason finale Thursday.
Following nine episodes of time jumping back and forth from the night of the bonfire, “Wait List” Wes (Alfred Enoch) was revealed to have been the one who killed Annalise Keating’s (Viola Davis) cheating husband, Sam (Tom Verica). Here’s how it went down:
Annalise bails after a major fight with Sam in which she says the DNA test she ordered will tie Sam to Lila’s death. Sam winds up getting hammered at their home when Michaela arrives with Asher’s trophy — and as (Katie Findlay) is entering the home to capture information from Sam’s computer for Nate (Billy Brown).
After a tense standoff, Sam winds up tackling Wes and Rebecca to get the thumb drive with his computer files. Sam then hits Connor (Jack Falahee) in the face, prompting Wes to tell Laurel (Karla Souza) to get the USB. Sam pursues Laurel and Michaela (Aja Naomi King) accidentally pushes Sam seemingly to his death over a second-floor bannister. But wait, there’s more! Minutes later, Sam isn’t dead and begins to strangle Rebecca. And then, in a quest to save girlfriend Rebecca’s life, Wes smacks Sam in the head with the trophy, finally killing Sam.
And that’s when things get interesting. The episode then put nearly everyone’s timeline together, including Wes returning to the scene of the crime to retrieve the murder weapon. Only there’s a new twist: Annalise is home and sitting at a desk with Sam’s dead body in front of her as she hears Wes apologizing to Sam. “Don’t be,” she responds as Wes looks on startled to be caught red-handed.
While it’s unclear from the way the events played out in the episode where during Annalise’s night she crossed paths with Wes, one thing seems to be clear: She very likely could have had a role in helping Wes to cover up Sam’s death. Annalise’s role in the potential cover-up of Sam’s death now joins a growing list of questions. Among them:
• Did Annalise help Wes literally get away with murder in covering up Sam’s death? And more importantly, why?
• Did Sam really murder Lila?
• Will Rebecca be convicted of Lila’s murder?
• Where is Michaela’s engagement ring?
• Will new pieces of the night reveal any evidence connecting the Keating Five to Sam’s death?
• How will the Keating Five respond to questions from police about Sam’s death?
• Where does the show go from here?
Check back to THR’s The Live Feed on Friday for an interview with showrunner and series creator Pete Nowalk when we pose these questions and more.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day