- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
This Is Us has removed a reference to Kevin Spacey in the wake of the actor being accused of sexual harassment.
The episode, set to air Tuesday night, originally included a reference to Spacey in flashback when struggling young actor Kevin (Justin Hartley), then in his 20s, learns his roommate had landed a role in a film starring Spacey. Kevin’s roommate then invites him to a party being held by the film’s director for the cast.
“In light of recent events, the producers have decided to remove the brief reference to Kevin Spacey,” 20th Century Fox Television, which produces the NBC drama, said Tuesday in a statement several hours before the installment was set to debut. The episode was shot before the accusation was made against two-time Oscar winner.
[Instead of a Spacey film, Tuesday’s episode made reference to a “Christian Bale movie.”]
Spacey’s name has been in the headlines since Sunday, when Star Trek actor Anthony Rapp alleged that Spacey made sexual advances towards him in 1986 when Spacey was 26 and Rapp was just 14. Rapp specifically claimed that Spacey climbed on top of him in a bedroom when Rapp attended a party at Spacey’s apartment. Hours later, Rapp’s story ran on Buzzfeed,
Spacey subsequently offered his “sincerest apology,” but said he did not remember the incident. In his statement, posted late Sunday on Twitter, Spacey also came out as a gay man for the first time — a move that has since been criticized by many in Hollywood as well as by GLAAD.
On Monday, Netflix and House of Cards producer Media Rights Capital said they were “deeply troubled” by the allegations made against Spacey, and executives from the companies traveled to the show’s Baltimore set to speak to the cast and crew about the situation. Spacey was not on set that day, as was previously scheduled.
On Tuesday, Netflix and MRC suspended production on the upcoming sixth and final season of House of Cards indefinitely.
Nov. 1, 10:30 a.m.: Updated with replacement’s name.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day