- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
In a press release Wednesday, Bruce Gillmer, global head of music and talent for Viacom and co-brand head of MTV International, called Jackson “one of the world’s biggest stars.”
“Her incredible artistry has opened doors for countless others while leaving an indelible impact on pop culture – well over three decades and counting,” said the exec. “We’re thrilled to honor her as this year’s MTV Global Icon.”
In addition to receiving the prize, Jackson will perform a medley of her hits during the awards ceremony, including her latest single, “Made for Now” featuring Daddy Yankee.
Rising to fame as the youngest member of the Jackson family, Janet has earned a reputation as one of the popular and influential artists of all time. She has sold over 160 million records worldwide and won six Grammys, 11 American Music Awards, 9 MTV Video Music Awards and a Golden Globe for her music.
The 2018 MTV EMAs are set to be held Sunday, Nov. 4, and hosted by Pitch Perfect star and singer Hailee Steinfeld.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day