- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Actor Jason Segel (How I Met Your Mother) has signed a three-book deal with Random House for a middle-grade series, Nightmares!, the publisher announced Tuesday.
The adventure series centers on a group of friends who try to save their neighborhood from fear.
“Ultimately, it’s a story about learning that we can accomplish anything, as long as we are brave enough to try,” Segel said in a statement.
Kirsten Miller, the author of previous middle-grade series Kiki Strike and The Eternal Ones, will co-author with Segel.
Segel revealed that the books were in the works three weeks ago during a forum with director Jonathan Demme following a screening of their 2008 film Forgetting Sarah Marshall.
During the event at the Jacob Burns Film Center in Pleasantville, N.Y., Segel said the idea originally started as a screenplay he sold “super cheap” before he became a well-known actor.
The project was never made and eight years later he bought it back for the same amount he sold it for.
The first novel in the trilogy will be published in 2014.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
More from The Hollywood Reporter
‘Dave’ Breakout Tenea Intriago on Playing a Stalker Opposite Brad Pitt and Finding Humanity in Villains
‘Dear Mama’ Director Allen Hughes on Tupac Shakur’s Legacy: “He Lived More in a Day Than Most in a Year”
Kaley Cuoco and Chris Messina Couldn’t Stop Laughing While Filming ‘Based on a True Story’: “We Drove People Crazy”