- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Seinfeld star died May 11. He was 92.
Stiller said in the interview that his father was the complete opposite of the cantankerous Frank Costanza; he never raised his voice to his children and was rarely angry. Ben explained his father was overprotective of his children, telling the story about when Jerry was stopped by police for looking suspicious because he was following his son in his car while the boy walked to his first day of school.
That level of protection did not stop, even after Stiller became an adult, he told Today‘s Savannah Guthrie, recalling a time 15 years ago when he and his family happened to be living in the same New York City apartment building as his parents.
“A movie came out and it got a bad review that I was in, and there was a note slipped under my door the morning after from my dad saying, ‘I read the review in the [New York] Times, don’t worry, I’m gonna write to the guy and take care of it.’ That was my dad,” Stiller said.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day